The Waterford Collection of Art, formerly known as ‘The Waterford Municipal Art Collection’ is acknowledged as one of the oldest and best municipal collections of art in Ireland.

Originally founded as the Waterford Art Museum in 1939, the collection has grown considerably since and it now comprises over 500 works of art including works by: Paul Henry, Jack B. Yeats, Mainie Jellett, Louis Le Brocquy, Letitia Hamilton, Dermod O’Brien, Evie Hone, Mary Swanzy, Charles Lamb, Hilda Roberts, Seán Keating, and George Russell (aka. AE), as well as contemporary acquisitions of work by Michael (Ben) Hennessy, Breda Lynch, Hughie O’Donoghue, Donald Teskey, and Kathleen Delaney.

The collection is now housed at the Waterford Gallery of Art, 31-32 O’Connell Street, in a former bank building built in 1845. The building was designed by the Waterford born architect Thomas Jackson (1807 – 1890).